Tuesday, August 31, 2010

5. Read 10 "Motion Picture" Novels. (3/10)

Just because I'm an English major, doesn't mean in the least, that I enjoy reading as much as everyone thinks I should.  But as I'm getting older I've given reading for pleasure another try. I made it a goal on my DZP list to finish at least 10 books that have all been made into films.  Novels are generally always better than the films, but I really like being able to compare the two and making my opinion. 

I've completed 3 "Motion Picture" novels since the start of my DZP list - one was last night! So I thought it was a perfect time to dig into what I've completed so far.

I'm really big on not giving away too much information so that I don't ruin anything for anyone who may want to dabble in these stories - so don't expect a huge story line.

1.  The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud - Ben Sherwood
This book was a page turner to say the least.  I think I finished it in only a few days and when it was over I wanted more! The film that came from this is simply Charlie St. Cloud with Zac Efron.  I was watching a preview of this movie when I was only half way through the book and it didn't seem as thought it would follow Ben Sherwood's story line, BUT I haven't seen the movie yet so I can't say that is 100% true.  The film looks like it is going to be pretty great, but will it keep up with the book? Hard to say.  I'll let you know when I find out.

2.  A Walk to Remember - Nicholas Sparks
This is pretty much a classic for most - although I recently found out my own boyfriend hasn't even seen it, which was pretty disappointing. I'm sure that since the film has come out almost everyone knows the films version of this story, but I'm here to tell you that the book is dramatically different.  At least I thought so.  I saw the movie first years ago - I remember it to this day.  It was the night that Erin shattered her ankle and I was forced to leave her and go home with my other siblings.  When we got home we decided to watch this movie... Therefore, not only was I totally emotional after seeing my sister crash, but now I'm sitting watching this heart wrenching movie.  Anyway, the film and movie have quite a lot of differences but both are very good!

3.  My Brother's Keeper - Patricia McCormick
Not to get this confused with My Sister's Keeper - this is a much different story.  It was on a film-novel list that I picked up and I had never heard of this before.  The author is one of my favorites so I figured it'd be pretty amazing.  This story is not really meant for adults, its more about the struggles of teenagers and what this young boy is going through. As a future high school teacher I'm glad I read it because now I know I can put it on my bookshelf in class.  If you want a quick read that is pretty simple then this is a perfect choice.  I checked out information on the film and, of course, it seems very different.  I plan on watching it soon to compare to the novel, but it seems as though these were not meant to be related.  We'll see...

Next on my list - Push by: Sapphire
This is based on the film Precious.  I've already been cautioned that this book is a bit of a struggle because of the language, but I'm willing to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment