Friday, August 27, 2010

i heart breakfast

On my DZP list I have to try a new recipe every month and I've began looking through a ton of recipes online and in books that I want to try - the White Bean Minestrone soup was my dish for August.  I figure that along with completing this goal I should make a habit of cooking.. I mean everyone needs to start somewhere, right??

I came across a recipe I may not try anytime soon, but that looks so amazing AND it's low in calories, fat, and sodium.. you'd never guess that its a BREAKFAST BURRITO!

When I used to work with a car company in Orange we'd get these breakfast burritos at least once a week, sometimes more, and they were incredibly high in calories but they were so good!! I had to get myself to stop eating them because they were so fattening and I haven't found one as good since - BUT my hopes are that this will top it and not make me feel like my insides are going to stop running at any moment.

Breakfast Burritos

Ingredients:
1/2 tbsp olive oil
2 cooked chicken sausage links, diced
1 red onion, diced
6 eggs, lightly beaten
4 whole-wheat tortillas
1 cup black beans, rinsed, drained, and heated
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
Optional
1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
Salt and black peper to taste
Chopped cilantro
Salsa
Pickled Jalapenos

Directions:
1.  Heat the oil in a large skillet or saute pan over medium heat
2.  Add the sausage and onion - cook for 5 minutes or until lightly browned
Turn the heat down low
3.  Pour the eggs into the skillet - cook slowly, constantly stirring with a wooden spoon until the eggs are firm but moist
4.  Remove from the heat, season with salt and pepper and stir in cilantro (optional)
5.  Wrap the tortillas in damp paper towels and heat in the microwave for 45 seonds (or heat them individually in a dry pan until warm and lightly toasted)
6.  Divide the eggs, beans, cheese, and avocado among the tortillas
7.  Roll into tight packages and top each burrito with salsa, more cilantro, and jalapenos (if using)

Bam! Once I try this I will definitely post my do's and dont's and preferences for this recipe.  If you try it, let me know what you thought and what you did!

Makes 4 servings / Cost per serving: $2.42
415 calories
17g fat
625 mg sodium
vs.
Fast food breakfast burritos:
799 calories
49g fat
2,427 mg sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment